Women In Action Graduates
April 27, 2017
BENEFITING: International Rescue Committee - San Diego, CA
The IRC in San Diego is committed to empowering women and girls so that their futures are bright, safe, equal and fulfilling. We aim to create programs that address the specific barriers holding refugee women and girls back from pursuing their ambitions and achieving their goals. Two unique programs, Women in Action and Girl's Academy do just that:
Girls Academy is a girls empowerment group for high school refugee youth. Through this program the girls have been able to:
- Access after school and Saturday tutoring
- Participate in workshops such as self-defense, drivers permit, financial literacy, sports, and more
- Attend STEM conferences as many are interested in the medial field
- Contribute to community service projects
Given where they are from, most refugee youth arrive with severe disruptions in their education, and for girls especially, with little to no formal education at all. For some, it was too dangerous to go to school because of civil wars or terrorism; for others, their family either did not have money for school or what money they did have was spent on their sons' education.
Women In Action is a women-only group for adult female refugees that provides space to focus on:
- Setting personal goals
- English language practice
- Getting out in the community, learning to ride the bus, participate in community service projects, etc.
Both of these programs depend on donations from the community to continue. **The next cohort of Women in Action will start in June, but only if we can reach our fundraising goal.** Please send your support to help ensure that refugee women and girls in San Diego have the support they need to thrive in their new community!