BENEFITING: Texas Lyme Disease Association
ORGANIZER: THE IRONMAN FOUNDATION
EVENT DATE: May 17, 2014
Lyme Disease Awareness:
My Journey with this disease has changed the way I view life!! I appreciate life so much more these days. I signed up for ironman a year ago before any health problems. Shortly after I was knocked to my knees with debilitating symptoms from this awful disease! I had numerous neurological problems, fatigue, the list could go on and on. Doctors dismissed my symptoms. I went through emergency room visits. Changed doctors several times. One did a MRI and found a lession on my brainstem. You can imagine how I felt about that being a father of two. Was told by one doctor that Iyme disease did not exist in Texas. I pursued the diagnosis of lyme with the push of a co-worker. After a few months of having no treatment I finaly got a positive test back of Lyme Disease. I started antibiotics and I have been getting better everyday. I was fortunate to get a fairly early diagnosis. Lots of people are not so lucky. Through my experience I have found little is known about this growing disease. I still have the goal of finishing the ironman. But now I am giving my race purpose. May is Lyme awareness month and that's exactly what you will be supporting with your donation. Let's fight for prevention and early detection.
Saved by Grace, Motivated to Race!
Texas Lyme Disease Association
Our Mission and Values
TXLDA is the most reliable authority and resource for Texans seeking information about Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, networks of support, and the treatment of these debilitating diseases.
To eradicate Lyme disease in Texas through a combination of education, support, research, and the collaborative efforts of our people, our physicians, our communities and our legislators.
Our mission is enduring. It declares our reason for being and serves as the standard against which we measure our actions and decisions.
1. To inform Texans about the very real threat Lyme poses to our people, our communities and our state.
2. To provide patients and families with options
3. To inspire others to help and take action
4. To make a difference in peoples lives
We have a commitment to:
• Put the needs of people first
• Build open and honest relationships through communication
• Be passionate about sharing knowledge and information
• Be compassionate with patients and their needs
• Be helpful with a will to succeed
• Care for our communities and our environment
• At all times show respect for patients, families and local physicians