Takes A Community to Win
Organized by: S. Marie Stephenson
- WHAT IS MY FUNDRAISER: Really it's about me stepping out from behind a curtain of privacy and well-hidden despair. It's a humble ask from friends and communtiy in a particular time of crisis--to stay sheltered, fed, and suriving for the next two months given the current circumstances.
- WHY IS IT A COMPELLING NEED: 6 months ago my job was illegally taken away. I've kept quiet about it, to all but a handful of people. I have exhausted all my options over the last 6 months; and my unemployment ended abruptly two weeks ago. I literally have no resources left. Quite frankly, I'm in a fight to survive while staying hopeful. I have plugged away and still am plugging away at job applications every single week; and if I can simply make it through the June and July--sheltered, fed, etc. in place--I can study the 5-6 days a week it will take to pass the Maryland State Bar exam. This is a simple moment for prayers to be answered.
- I've been very private about the circumstances where my job/federal fellowship was illegally taken away from me 6 months ago. When I could no longer bear months of discrimination and harassment, and when every avenue to escape got shut down, I went to the Civil Rights office for help. In the midst of the attempt to correct the abuse, the perpetrating managers circumvented the civil right process terminating me with false accusations. Was I allowed to refute it? Sorry, no. The managers decided I was not to be granted Constitutional Due Process. Now, 6 months later and perhaps many more to go, I am fighting to clear my name and record, have the perpetrators held accountable, and hopefully be restored to place I was before the violations. To say the process has been dreadful and painful, is phrasing it mildly. Every day I'm trying to live as someone once said---like a lotus at ease in muddy waters. But I can't do it alone.
- Why push through to take the Bar exam again even though Im not sure how to pay for fod or keep a roof ove my head? Well, because after years in school, hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans, and these many months of looking for work, passing the Bar and acquiring my law license is about the best means I'll have to become self-sufficient and stand on my own two feet. I asking for your help now to get through the next two months while I study. The exam dates are July 26th and 27th.
- I realize that every year since 2003 I have given away the equivalent of about $15,000 to $30,00 in volunteer time and labor. And I did so without ever thinking about what it cost me. I only thought about how I was helping or giving back.
- Today, I'm on the other end. I need help.
- My FUNDRAISING GOAL is $5,000 --- $2,500 for the month of June and $2,500 for the month of July.
- I know, if I were running for elected office it would seem more fruitful to ask you to invest in me. Instead, I'm asking for something that yields a greater return---I'm asking that you invest in me today and in the future work I will do in the community once licensed.
- Please, will you be a personal champion to me by helping me to make it through the next two months? Can you contribute $50, $100, $250, $500, or greater to help me reach my goal?
- My exam dates are July 26th and 27th. There are many days and weeks to get there, and unfortunately it will come quickly. My total goal each of the two months, June and July, is $2,500 and I need to meet the goals by the 18th of each month. That's a total fundraising goal of $5,000.
- Whatever happens after July, I'll deal with it--hopefully, I will land work by then. Today, I need your support, a community to win. A community to help me win. A community to help my chances at passing the Bar. A community to stand in the gap in with a literally life-sustaining gift.
- Please help me reach my overall goal of $5,000---$2,500 by June 18th and another $2,500 by July 18th. Your gift of $100, $250, $500, or greater will make a world of difference.
- If you're so moved, I just want to thank you so very very much. Thank you for investing in me, in my future, and in the community work I will be better able to do once I pass the Bar. And yes, your gift secures my listening ear in the future should you find yourself saying, "Hey, I have a legal problem!" Truly, it's only the right thing to do!
- Thank you for believing in me, and for standing in the gap with a financial gift.
- I appreciate your support more than I could put into words.
- A Dieter F. Uchtdor said, "In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of greater importance."