Rita Patel via Crowdrise
June 28, 2011
BENEFITING: Jack H Marston II Melanoma Fund
ORGANIZER: Jack H Marston II Melanoma Fund
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2011
I am more excited than ever to run this, my fifth marathon, because I am partnering up with JACK'S TEAM, a charity dedicated to funding MELANOMA research.
As a budding dermatologist, I want people to know more about melanoma which is the deadliest kind of skin cancer and also the most common cancer diagnosed in young women.
What are some factors that can lead to the development of a melanoma?
1. Fair skin
2. A history of severe/blistering sun burns as a child or teenager
3. Excessive exposure to the sun or tanning beds
4. A family history of melanoma
What can you do to take better care of your skin?
1. Wear a GENEROUS amount of sunscreen year-round (UVA/UVB Broad-Spectrum Coverage with SPF 30) and re-apply it FREQUENTLY when outdoors
2. Avoid daytime sunlight, especially from 10a to 4pm
3. Avoid tanning beds
4. Take a GOOD look at your skin, use a mirror if you need to get to those tricky spots, and if you see anything unusual, let your doctor know
Contact me if you want to learn more about melanoma and help me by donating to this great cause.
THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION!
Rita V. Patel