Here's why I'm focused on raising money for scholarships for girls in Malawi, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Tanzania.
- I get to work with girls (and boys) all day as a third, fourth, and fifth grade English as Second Language teacher in Minneapolis. Many of my students have emigrated from Africa themselves (specifically Somalia, Ethiopia, and Kenya). They are all tiny geniuses.
- I taught an after school class specifically for 1st and 2nd grade girls focused on engineering, math, and science. The girls experimented with windmills, built electric circuits, invented machines that could keep food safe using Legos, and generally saved the world.
- Though I am not personally female, I have many strong women in my life/the news that prove to me on a regular basis how much smarter they are than myself. They include the following: my girlfriend, my mom, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Burmese democracy fighter Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, my grandmas, first lady Michelle Obama, my many co-teachers, comedian Amy Poehler, my first college professor Jacquie Lynch, Iranian lawyer Shirin Ebadi, my friends like Madaline and Holly, urban education expert Dr. Camika Royal, and mostly my students (particularly an upcoming fourth grader I'll call B who is going to become president; she already called it). I would like more women to get scholarships and have the opportunity to continue this trend of proving me intellectually inferior.
- I have strong, lithe legs (pictures available via Craigslist) that will carry me to the finish line. I ain't no hit-the-wall-and-fall kinda guy. Help me raise my fundraising goal, and I guarantee I will win the New York City Marathon*.
- I'm from Wyoming, where we have more cows than people. I'm out of my element here, digitally interacting with y'all. Throw me a bone.
*Not a guarantee
CR Impact Points
Click the VOTE button to give James 100 CrowdRise Impact Points (CIPs). Vote for the Volunteers and Fundraisers that are answering the call to service, raising money for charity, and making an impact for their causes. Come back and Vote every months. CIPs can earn you the highly coveted, highly respected CrowdRise Royalty Status.
CR Impact Points
If you're seeing the grey VOTE button, you should feel great about yourself. It means you already voted for James this month. Come back next month and vote again if you still love James. Thanks to your vote, James earned 100 CrowdRise Impact Points (CIPs). CIPs can earn you the highly coveted, highly respected CrowdRise Royalty Status.