BENEFITING: POSTPARTUM PROGRESS
EVENT DATE: Jun 18, 2016
Jessica Ragsdale wrote -
I am are putting together a team to so support and raise awareness for mothers stuggeling with parinatal mood disorders. Below are the reasons we will hike and list the organization we will be hiking with. All are welcome and any donation is greatly appreciated. You can both donate or register for the hike on the buttons here on the page. ALL participants must register (I know, rules, rules, rules).
1. Perinatal mood and anxiety disorders like postpartum depression are temporary and treatable with professional help.
2. 15-20% of all women will get a perinatal mood or anxiety disorder like postpartum depression or postpartum anxiety. That’s 1 in every 7 each year – nearly 1 million -- more than the number of women who will get breast cancer each year.
3. While pregnancy and postpartum depression and anxiety are common, they aren’t normal. They are real illnesses that require treatment from a healthcare provider.
4. Postpartum Progress (http://postpartumprogress.org) is a national nonprofit that raises awareness of maternal mental health and provides support for pregnant and new moms struggling with it. It is a patient-run and patient-focused organization, and is the premier voice for moms with maternal mental illness.
5. Climb Out of the Darkness is the world’s largest event raising awareness of postpartum depression, anxiety, psychosis and pregnancy depression. It is hosted by Postpartum Progress and mothers around the globe each year on or near the Summer solstice, the longest day, to help shine a light on maternal mental illness. In 2015, there were more than 2,500 registered participants with 150 teams raising more than more than $240,000 for Postpartum Progress.
I have not selected a place for the hke yet. We are between Evergreen, Boulder, and the Rocky Mountain National Park. I promise I will make a decision soon. Please plan on hiking ealry and then we can have either a picnic lunch or head out to lunch.. details to follow
Photo By t5 photography.