IMAGINE if Oakland's Jack London district had a grocery store, clean streets, safe highway underpasses, a vibrant retail community, and more green space.
IMAGINE if the Jack London district had a strong community of active citizens, contributing to the improvement of their surroundings and actively engaging in its prosperity.
All of this is possible, but it cannot happen without your help.
1 Click the Donate button on the right to give $25, $50, or $100 for the improvement of our district
2 Leave a comment about how you would like the district improved (i.e. cleaner 1-880 underpasses, attracting a grocery store, creating the Webster Green Park).
3 Send your friends to crowdrise.org/imaginejacklondon using e-mail, facebook, twitter, word-of-mouth, street-theater, or any other way you can think!
This summer, the Jack London District Association (JLDA) is launching Imagine Jack London, a fundraising campaign designed to give communinty stakeholders a strong voice in the creation of a Business Improvement District and to fund the continued community outreach of the association.
Our goal is to raise $11,000 from district residents and businesses by September 30th. To be successful, we need you, your neighbors, and nearby businesses to participate.
Can you be among the first to donate to the Jack London District Association and move us closer to our $11,000 goal?
We are counting on your excitement and support to make this campaign a success. Keep an eye out for invitations to fun events designed to give you an opportunity to share your ideas on how to make our district a better place.
Looking forward to our stronger community,
The JLDA Board of Directors
What We Need
If we can raise $11,000 by September 30th, we will:
- Have a strong community voice in the creation of a Jack London Improvement District
- Organize events and charrettes for residents to network and enjoy the district
- Advocate on behalf of district residents on land use, city planning and other issues
- Attract more financing for larger district projects
- Survey community stakeholders (like you!) to identify district priority activities
Having community input in BID decision making is essential, and the JLDA is poised to take that role. We are expanding our community outreach in the upcoming months to make sure your voice about district priorities is heard.
We are part of a larger effort to establish a Business Improvement District in Jack London. Parallel efforts are attempting to raise an additional $50,000 among other stakeholders in the area. If these efforts fail, the BID will most likely not be created at this time.
BID or no BID, the JLDA will use the resources raised in this effort towards more community events, outreach, advocacy, and projects.
Did you notice the downtown Maintenance and Security ambassadors in Downtown Oakland? Have you ever stopped to marvel at the artistic utility boxes in Koreatown? Have you appreciated the improved walkability in Temescal? These were all improvements made possible through the coordinated efforts of these respective neighborhoods.
With your support we can bring the same level of residential life, thriving business community, and community engagement in Jack London.
Other Ways You Can Help
Can't make a small donation? We have plenty of other opportunities for people to help with the process:
- Go to www.jlda.org and sign up for notices of planning meetings
- E-mail info @ jlda . org if you would like to volunteer
- Share this grassroots fundraising effort with you friends in the district
The Jack London District Association (JLDA) was formed in April 2005 as a non-profit organization to ensure that development in the Jack London District meets the needs of current and future residents and business owners. It was awarded 501(c)(3) non-profit status in July 2006. A copy of the IRS letter of determination is available for download.
JLDA works to accomplish these goals:
- Represent all residents, property owners, business owners, and other stakeholders in the effort to promote positive relationships within the district and with municipal governments, public and private agencies, community-based and advocacy groups, and other interested persons regarding activities occurring in or relating to the district.
- Advocate for responsible planning and development activities within the district including but not limited to such proposals sponsored by the City of Oakland, the Port of Oakland, and private planning and land-use firms, wither individually or on the behalf of said agencies.
- Provide a venue for expanding positive social relationships and activities within the district.
- Educate the community-at-large regarding the historical, cultural, architectural, and natural heritage of the district.
- Ensure ongoing improvement, preservation, maintenance, and beautification of the district.
Legal Disclaimer We are only looking for donations from California residents due to state fundraising laws. Please do not donate from other states.
This contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. The Jack London District Association is recognized as a 501(c)(3) public charity by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.