June O via Crowdrise
October 24, 2012
BENEFITING: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
EVENT DATE: Nov 04, 2012
Mileage Tracker: 26
Dear Friends and Family,
I am running my first marathon in November to raise money for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I am incredibly lucky to remain strong and healthy during my training, and even luckier to have family and friends to support me through the way. I chose St. Jude's as a cause to inspire me to the finish line. Join me in taking part of helping the incredible family and friends of kids affected by childhood diseases so we can all remain strong and healthy, too.
The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.
How do your donations help?
- Thanks to donors, no family ever pays St. Jude for anything. Care, housing, transportation, meals—the list of services we provide to our families is unequalled. But it is for one purpose: To ensure the very best outcome possible for every child.
- At St. Jude, donor dollars help fuel the groundbreaking research that leads to pioneering care and treatments for childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.
How is St. Jude making a difference for sick children?
- Every child saved at St. Jude means children saved around the world—a direct result of cutting-edge research and treatment that set the standard in treating childhood cancers. And our discoveries are shared freely with doctors and scientists all over the world.
- St. Jude developed protocols that have helped push overall survival rates for childhood cancers from less than 20 percent, when the hospital opened in 1962, to 80 percent today.
- St. Jude is the first and only pediatric cancer center to be designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
- St. Jude has embarked on an unprecedented effort to sequence the pediatric cancer genome and to identify the genetic changes that give rise to some of the world's deadliest childhood cancers. Read more.
How are donations used?
- During the past five years, 81 cents of every dollar received has supported the research and treatment at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
- It costs $1.8 million a day to operate St. Jude, and public donations provide more than 75 percent of our funding.
Please help us continue to fight childhood cancer and other catastrophic diseases by donating to St. Jude. Join me in my journey by donating.
For more information, please visit http://www.stjude.org.