Get to know Camp Can Do!
September 19, 2016
http://articles.philly.com/2016-09-11/news/75354663_1_summer-camp-camping-experience-camp-medical-director Get to know Camp Can Do, the children's camp See more
Amy Houser wrote -
- Katie's Krew is once again hitting the waters at the Philadelphia Dragonboat Festival 2016 and come out of this with some money for a good cause, to raise some awareness, and to do some good, however tiny and hard-won.
- As some of you may know, Katie's Krusaders is a charity-based organization with a great mission: to raise our community's awareness of the incidence of cancer in children, to support the Ronald McDonald House at St. Christopher's Hospital, and assist Camp Can-Do (a Philadelphia-area summer camp for children with cancer and their families), headed up by our very own team captain, Tom Prader.
- The Festival is Saturday October 1st, 2016. That's not a lot of time to raise money, but we're hoping to raise enough to pay for our entry fee, and possibly and beyond. Every cent will be directly supporting Katie's Krusaders. Previous year donations: We have posters left (meaning not everyone got theirs, please get in touch at KatiesKrewPA@gmail.com if you are still owed one!), and the medallions are being packed now! For those in the know, and those not: The best of team-moms, Anne Houser, had spearheaded crafting the dragonboat pendants (last years thank you for donating). Because the world isn't fair, her husband and fellow dragonboat crew-dad Hal was stricken with aggressive esophageal cancer and passed away May 2015. We're taking each day by day and contributing to Katie's Krusaders fundraisers and events have brought light and peace into the whole process. Your patience in receiving these rewards is extremely appreciated. Please have faith and bear with us.
- Last but not least, our fearless and peerless captain Tom Prader has had his own share (and ten other peoples') of challenges this year, and still manages to keep us going and bring the team together. For him, we want a medal. For him, we raise money and cheers. Read an article about his outstanding efforts here (seriously go read, it's worth it to understand the heart of our team): http://articles.philly.com/2016-09-11/news/75354663_1_summer-camp-camping-experience-camp-medical-director
- If you have any further questions, please contact KatiesKrewPA@gmail.com, or any of the team. Cheers, and our love and support to you all.