EVENT: Together Walk | Virtual
There is an actual walk on May 14, in Nashville. I saw it and thought, boy I would love to do that. But the reality is I can't. I already have plans for that day, but even those plans are a little shaky for me. See, those of us who suffer from Fibromyalgia, or any chronic illness, can't really make advanced plans, much less plans that involve physical activtiy. I'm scared to actually attend the event I want to on this day because I am scared that I can't physically do it and that others won't understand. Which makes this awareness walk something I truly believe in.
So, since I can't walk at the Nashville event, I've joined the Virtual Walk! This can be done anywhere - your neighborhood, the local mall, even around your house! And it can be done at any time! The virtual walk runs between May 1 and May 31. And, since it's virtual, my friends from around the country can join me without having to be here with me in person.
A little about me - I was diagonsed with Fibro when I was 20. All I can say is it is not a nice illness but it's kinda the perfect illness for me (if there is such a thing)! The symbols for fibro support / awareness are the color purple and a butterfly. Well, one of my favorite colors is purple - everyone knows that pink is the top favorite - and the butterfly is a favorite ever since Dolly sang about it when I was little! I've named my team "Gypsy Warriors" as a symbol for myself. My daddy always called me a gypsy and my name means warrior woman.
Please join me in my virtual walk to raise awareness for Fibromyalgia. Maybe next year I won't be so afraid of what I may or may not have the strength to do! Fibro awareness day is May 12th. Wear purple!
Read more below to find out more information.
The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association is joining forces with people like you across the U.S. to launch TOGETHER WALKS in 2016 to raise fibromyalgia awareness and research funding. Passionate Leaders have already taken the lead for 2016 in Richmond, Central Florida, Coral Springs, Louisville, and a Virtual Online Walk.
We’ve organized a virtual Together Walk so you can form teams online, or with whomever you want to connect, even while you are at home. Everyone can participate regardless of their health status or ability to travel to specific locations. Your voice matters in changing how fibromyalgia is perceived, treated, and researched.
Fibromyalgia is a life-altering condition affecting 2-4% of women, men and children of all backgrounds worldwide to suffer. (That’s 10 million Americans alone.) The illness can strike suddenly or occur as a gradual increase in symptoms, indicating changes in the central nervous system (neuroplasticity). Sensory information (such as light, sound, and touch) becomes amplified by the CNS, causing the brain to respond with increasing pain and symptoms. FM severity waxes and wanes; often increases over time; and may become disabling.
Through research/innovation seed funding raised at Together Walks, new exploration in areas such as small fiber neuropathy, cervical cord compression, and myofascial release may bring promising new treatments.
What is the Virtual Together Walk? It is pretty simple. Follow these easy steps to participate:
1. Register (Click the Join button above at top of page.)
2. During registration, you have the opportunity to start a fundraiser and set a goal for yourself or team. Raise awareness and funds in your local community to support the efforts of the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association.
3. Form a team of your friends, neighbors, support group members, and family. Or choose to participate on your own, knowing you are part of something bigger! You make a difference!
4. To order the official Together Walk T-shirt, please go to
5. A virtual walk can be done in two ways: online or in your community. Choose your distance: you may walk around the block, do a 1K walk at the local mall, or even try a longer walk or run around your neighborhood. Do what you can. There is no distance too short. Be creative if you are unable to walk by forming a team online and fundraising with friends.
Be sure to fill out the External Events online form so we can send you some brochures and fun stuff and help you promote!
6. Rolling, Strolling, Walking, or running is best scheduled during the month of May in celebration of May 12 Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.
7. Take a photo of you or your team with a “Together we make a difference” sign and share it on social media. We invite you to use #TogetherWalks and #IWalkForFibro, and tag us @togetherwalks on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or YouTube. We invite you to share anyway or anywhere! Use your imagination – your voice matters!
This is an opportunity for people with fibromyalgia to have an action-oriented, healthy event for their friends, family, neighbors and healthcare providers to support them in a positive and uplifting way. These walks are foundational for the NFMCPA to continue strengthening its four tenets: increase of support, awareness, education and research globally.
As a participant, you will have access to educational materials about fibromyalgia and enjoy live-streaming of presentations from medical professionals with expertise in fibromyalgia and pain disorders at other Together Walks across the nation.
The NFMCPA thanks you for your continuing support and looks forward to walking with you.
Can you imagine what can be done together when there is a walk in every state and across the globe? If you are interested in hosting a Together Walk in 2017, please contact the NFMCPA at email@example.com.