On Sunday, 03/17/2013, I will make my debut at the renowned NYC HALF…running 13.1 miles through Central Park, Midtown, Times Square, the West Side Highway, Battery Park and the Financial District.
This will be my 6th half marathon and 15th race since Fall 2011. I have three goals for this exciting event:
1) Raise over $1,000 to support a great cause I believe in, and hopefully you will too.
2) Beat my half marathon personal record of 1:59:15.
3) Have a blast running through (what I think is) the greatest city in the world with (uh, behind) some Olympic athletes and international elite runners.
So, I have decided to “partner” with www.KIVA.org, a great organization & beneficiary of this fundraiser.
* Kiva is a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending by leveraging the internet and a network of microfinance institutions.
* People, like you and me, can combat poverty and provide small loans to budding entrepreneurs in developing countries to help them grow their own businesses and live a sustainable lifestyle.
* 99% of the loans are paid back in full and re-loaned to another entrepreneur. This is a recurring cycle, where the same pool of money helps many people.
* Often, a small amount of money goes a long way. Perhaps a Kenyan farmer needs $500 to double grain production, or a Bolivian woman lacks the $1,500 tuition for nursing school, and on and on…
* “Give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he’ll eat for a lifetime.”
I will be sporting my GREEN during the race since...
** The color theme of the race & Kiva are green.
** After all, the race is on Saint Patrick’s Day.
** The 4-leaf clover is green and means good luck.
** I'm all about green initiatives & global sustainability.
If you would like to give and help support this great cause, any amount would be greatly appreciated and bring me that much closer to meeting my goal. THANK YOU so much for reading through this, for encouraging me, and for supporting this fundraiser!