BENEFITING: CAMP KOREY
EVENT DATE: Sep 01, 2017
Hiking with Gnarly, Stubby, and Gimpy
I decided early on that I did not want to hike the PCT just for the heck of it. I wanted the hike to mean something outside of my own enjoyment. My wife and I were brainstorming what would be a meaningful outcome for my hike. She found a network of camps started by Paul Newman that provide fun experiences for children with delicate medical diagnoses, one of which is located in Washington.
My goal is to raise enough money to send four children to Camp Korey. The cost per camper for a camp session is $2,500.
Here is what a $2,500 campership covers:
· Specialized meal prep and food selection
· Seasonal staffing to ensure 2:1 adult-child ratio for security and safety
· Staff and volunteer background checks
· Staff and volunteer training
· Medical care, equipment, and support
· Transportation expenses to help get campers and volunteers to and from camp
· Costs associated with running all of our different activities like wood shop, stage night, food fights, etc.
· Supplies for our leadership program: speakers, teambuilding equipment, etc.
· Camp T-Shirts and apparel
· Year round staffing, general expenses for utilities, property, insurance, etc.
Updates on my hike can viewed on my blog: