You inspire us!
March 22, 2017
Have you ever wondered why you’ve heard so much about campus sexual assault on the news lately? Why your lawmakers have begun passing legislation to combat campus rape? Why the Department of Education is investigating over 150 colleges for sexual violence violations?
None of this “just” happened -- students organized long and hard for it. And Know Your IX has been THE youth-led organization on the ground teaching students how to organize and change school policy, while elevating their voices to shape policy-making at the state and national levels.
But under the new administration, the progress we’ve made is under attack, which means our work to empower young people to end gender violence in their communities is more important than ever.
And so is your support!
Here’s how your contributions will impact student survivors and activists on the ground this next year:
- we’ll train and organize 100 young people to use Title IX to hold their institutions accountable for violence in schools;
- drawing inspiration from the Movement for Black Lives’ platform, we’ll release a model state policy so that protections for survivors are codified in every state;
- we’ll fight back against other movements committing violence in our names—from transphobic bathroom bills that keep trans students from accessing their educations to dangerous bills that force survivors to report to the police (like HB51 in Georgia right now);
- we’ll launch a new website to make our knowledge about legal rights more accessible to thousands of more students
- and most importantly, we’ll resist tooth and nail -- by leading national campaigns like #DearBetsy to lobby our representatives -- to make sure this Administration cannot rollback Title protections.
As one of our organizers recently told Buzzfeed, “If Trump’s Office of Civil Rights is planning to plunge campus rape back into the shadows, they should expect to hear from us.”
Help us do that and have survivors’ backs.