Village Earth via Crowdrise
November 28, 2011
Living Roots Baja wrote -
This is what we do.
Living Roots protects endangered cultures through social enterprise. It's an innovative idea and may sound difficult to do, but in its first year of operation, Living Roots has made significant strides in empowering theSudcalifornio Ranchero culture in the sierras (mountains) of Baja California Sur to rejuvenate their unique cultural identity.
What we need to go farther.
Living Roots is seeking $25,000 to hire our first full-time employees. At the "root" of our first year's success is a very dedicated, passionate, and creative local management team. To ensure Living Roots' longevity, as well as move closer to complete community governance of the enterprise, our goal is to hire the following positions:
- Education & Expansion Coordinator : Oversees workshops to both rejuvenate disappearing skills and enhance product quality, and orchestrates product development and sales outside of the mountains.
- Agritourism & Entrepreneurship Coordinator : Organizes business skill workshops for the community as well as develops Living Roots' sustainable agritourism program.
- Cultural Center Operator & Community Liaison : Manages the San Javier regional marketplace and cultural center (both a direct sales outlet and a tourist information center).
How YOU (and your friends) can help.
1. DONATE TODAY! (click the orange "donate" button above)
2. JOIN OUR FUNDRAISING TEAM! Enlist your networks to get involved - share our project and invite team members. (click the black "join the team" button above)
Prizes! Donate/raise $5 or more and you’ll have our deepest love and respect. Donate/raise $250 or more and you will also earn a gift basket of sierra-made farm goodies. If you are the donor/fundraiser who brings us closest to our goal, you'll receive a Baja-based Sierra Heritage Expedition to learn traditional skills from ranching families and experience first hand the Baja sierra way of life.
Trust us. We'll make your dollar go the distance.
In its first year (and on a shoestring budget), Living Roots helped provide supplemental income for 65 rancheros from three sierra ranching communities (San Javier, Sierra San Francisco & San Antonio de la Sierra). The following successes support this outcome:
- Direct market connection for producers to sell their hand-made, culturally significant artisanal crafts and food products.
- Sierra Heritage Skills workshops to keep ranchero culture alive and vibrant within sierra youth.
- Organic gardening program helps ranches maintain self-sufficiency in these years of significant drought.
- Cultural Center & Sierra Marketplace is set to break ground later this month & will serve as a hub for product sales, agritourism, and cultural education.
With innovative programs launched, local funding secured, effective collaborations made, and strong community support gained, Living Roots has reached a critical stage of growth; the coming year is ripe with opportunity to expand services and greatly increase impact.
Your support will help build the capacity of sierra communities to envision and sustain their own cultural longevity and economic sustainability. For more information about our programs and services, please visit Living Roots' website, or for feel free to contact us directly with any questions.