BENEFITING: Little Brothers - Friends of the Elderly
ORGANIZER: Little Brothers - Friends of the Elderly
I serve on the Board of Directors of Little Brothers - Friends of the Elderly, a wonderful organization that provides friendship and alleviates the isolation of nearly 1,200 Chicago seniors.
This past Thanksgiving, Lucy, Molly, Zoey, Jackie & I helped serve lunch to 200 elders who would have otherwise been alone on the holiday. This experience reminded me just how important the work of Little Brothers is to our community.
This Tuesday, December 1st, is "Giving Tuesday". Similar to last year, Little Brothers is running a Crowdrise campaign to benefit isolated and lonely seniors in Chicago. I will match dollar for dollar up to the 1st $1,000 donated to the Flowers & Friendship For Isolated Seniors 2015 Campaign.
When the holiday season is upon us, the absence of family and friends is most overwhelming. Little Brothers - Friends of the Elderly works with incredible volunteers to make the spirits bright for our seniors year-round - and on Christmas Day we make sure no elder is alone.
This year 600 of our elders will celebrate the holiday season with LBFE Chicago.
- 400 elders at three holiday parties
- 200 elders receiving home delivered meals and nursing home visits
- 600 elders participated in Thanksgiving meals hosted by Little Brothers
Volunteers will deliver 200 beautiful plants, along with holiday meals and treats, to our homebound elders and those living in nursing homes.
Volunteers will pick up elders and bring them to a celebration with a three course meal, entertainment, and fellowship! At the end of the party - every elder receives a lovely red rose in the spirit of our motto "flowers before bread" and we hope the rose reminds them of the day spent among friends.
Here's how you will make an impact:
200 home-delivered meals & nursing home visits
- $10 – sends a home delivered meal with flowers & a friendly visit
- $40 – supports 5 nursing home visits by friendly volunteers bringing an elder flowers and treats
400+ elders at Christmas Day parties
- $250 – supports a table of 8 with a three course meal, flowers, entertainment, & friendly transportation with a volunteer
100 special mobility rides are needed to transport elders who are in wheelchairs or have limited mobility
- $100 – supports 10 rides to/from party for elders in wheelchairs or with limited mobility
Please consider making a donation to the Flowers & Friendship Campaign. Thank you for helping make the spirits bright of our elders.