Leave No Trace is a non-profit organization located in Boulder, Colorado whose focus is to promote and inspire responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships. The Leave No Trace message is more than a campaign to clean campsites. It's a program dedicated to building awareness, appreciation, and most of all, respect for our public recreation places. Leave No Traces is about enjoying the great outdoors while traveling and camping with care.
The mission of Leave No Trace is to teach people how to enjoy the outdoors responsible. The vision of Leave No Trace is to grow a nation of outdoor advocates to put the Leave no Trace principles into action.
Leave No Trace has ten important core values:
- is committed to the enjoyment, health and protection of recreational resources on natural lands for all people;
- believes that education is the best means to protect natural lands from recreational impacts while helping maintain access for recreation and enjoyment;
- is founded on outdoor ethics whereby a sense of stewardship is gained through understanding and connecting with the natural world;
- believes that practicing the Leave No Trace principles is the most relevant and effective long-term solution to maintaining the beauty, health of, and access to natural lands;
- is science-basedand builds ethical, pragmatic approaches to resource protection for varying types of outdoor recreation and enjoyment;
- strives to build key partnerships that support education programs, training and communities of volunteers, educators, land managers, organizations and corporations committed to teaching and instilling the values of Leave No Trace;
- is inclusive, for all people, and focused on all non-motorized recreation activities occurring on natural lands;
- is apolitical and dedicated to education;
- does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, military status or disability in the administration of its education, outreach, employment, and other Center administered programs and activities;
- remains committed to its mission, core values, projects and programs without deviation.
Along with the Leave No Trace full slate of programs, the organization has identified three strategic priorities: (1) Local Community Participation: Developing and supporting dedicated members, volunteers and educators at the local level, the Center will fully realize community-based Leave No Trace programs. (2) Youth Education: Building on programs that support educational initiatives the Center will cultivate the next generation of environmental stewards. (3) Frontcountry Outreach: Promoting Leave No Trace practices in close-to-home and day-use areas where 90% of our nation's outdoor recreation occurs, the Center will provide onsite education, focused grants and multi-cultural outreach. Frontcountry education will boost Leave No Trace practices at the local level.