Let's Bring Familias de Corazón to the U.S.
Organized by: Velvet Beard
We did it!
May 30, 2016
Familias de Corazón (Families of the Heart) is a Guatemalan-based non profit organization dedicated to fostering connections between adoptive families and the birth families of their Guatemalan-born children, and to providing educational, health and nutritional support to birth families in Guatemala.
While Familias de Corazón (FdeC) is a non profit in Guatemala, it is not yet a U.S. 501c3 organization and, therefore, cannot accept donations in the U.S.. This means the families who support us must now pay high international bank wire transfer fees when making donations and their donations are not tax-deductible in the U.S.
With your support we can file to have FdeC receive 501c3 status in the U.S. which will provide the following benefits to the organization and it's supporters:
- Eligibilty for donor tax deductions
- Donations can be made by check or credit card payment in the U.S.
- We will better be able to track donations (with a wire transfer we can't see where the money comes from)
- Donors will save on international wire fees
- FdeC will be able to conduct fund raising activities (like selling T-shirts) to support more programs in Guatemala
How the money raised will be spent:
Legal assistance to file for 501c3 status - $2,500
IRS filing fee - $850
State incorporation filing - $75
If each of our sponsor families now donates $40 (which is the typical bank wire transfer fee) we can make the goal and get Familias de Corazón functioning as a U.S. non-profit by the end of 2016. We hope we can count on your support!