Gene Lipitz wrote -
Many of you have followed me and supported me through my Rotary projects, travels, and adventures. And many of you know I have been working through Rotary with an amazing organization called Splash (www.splash.org). We work hard to ensure that kids around the world have access to reliably safe and clean water. Our focus is urban, our focus is institutions. Our focus is KIDS.
Splash works in seven countries around the world - Ethiopia, China, Cambodia, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam and India. With growing rural-to-urban migration, degradation of water is increasing globally. Learn more about all of Splash's projects at www.proving.it.
Last year we completed our second grant to schoolchildren in teh Katmandu Valley in Nepal. This year, with the support of our new District Govenor Ezra Teshome, we are doing the same in Ethiopia. I am going to be President of the amazing Rotary Club of Lake Union next year and this is our showcase project.
Kids are often exposed to disgusting water, water that makes them sick. But we don't want that! We want to make sure that kids stay healthy, that they can go to school, learn and become the future doctors, merchants, teachers, lawyers and advocates!
This year give the gift of potential! So here's the plan: I'm trying to raise $42,000 for kids in Ethiopia. Rotary will match our gifts to make a $145,000 grant. That's over 10,000 kids with access to clean water for their entire school career.
- $500 can buy a water storage tank so the kids always have access to water, even when the city water is off
- $200 can provide bubblers (drinking fountains) and taps for a water station so kids can drink the water any time their heart desires!
- $150 can provide 5 years of spare parts to make sure the water is clean, safe, and reliable
- $100 can provide hygiene training for kids so they can learn about handwashing (and germs)!
- $50 can buy handwashing signs for a school - don't forget to wash your hands!
- $5 buys a 5 gallon jug so kids can bring home clean water to their families after school.
I hope that you can help reach this HUGE goal of $42,000 - together we can do it!
Thanks for supporting this great cause,