BENEFITING: AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR CAREGIVER EDUCATION INC
Nationally, 1 in 4 members of the LGBT community is an unpaid family caregiver -- thousands care for their parents and grandparents, partners, and friends who can no longer care for themselves. Hundreds of LGBT family caregivers live in the Fort Lauderdale and Wilton Manors, Florida, community. They struggle to meet the needs of those they care for with little or no training or practical support for their efforts. The American Association for Caregiver Education (AACE), a Florida-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is dedicated to creating confident, successful family caregivers. ACCE wants to help South Florida LGBT family caregivers learn to make better, more effective caregiving decisions through a specially designed LGBT Family Caregiver Action Program. Funds donated to this unique educational and support program will cover the costs of
- workshops to train LGBT family caregivers to follow the AACE Mastery approach to decision making so that they can be more effective caregivers and will be better able to ensure their own well being;
- specially designed LGBT family caregiver support (Action) groups;
- training for professional and volunteer group facilitators and caregiver advisers in the most effective ways to support LGBT Family Caregivers;
- workshops for professional (paid) providers of home care services and health care support in how to work more effectively with LGBT family caregivers as important members of the care team; and
- media outreach and free community programs to raise awareness in the community about the contributions made by LGBT family caregivers.With your support, we can make a true difference in the peace of mind, confidence, and effectiveness of LGBT family caregivers throughout the South Florida.
It is our hope that the program we develop and deliver for South Florida LGBT family caregivers will become a model that can be used throughout the United States.