The Need in Bangladesh
- A mother is 100 times more likely to die in childbirth in Bangladesh than in Minnesota
- An infant is 10 times more likely to die in Bangladesh than Minnesota
- One in six children will die before the age of 6 years
- In Bangladesh, 50 percent of the women are anemic and 50 percent of the children are malnourished.
LHCB-USA supports the work and growth of Lutheran Health Care Bangladesh in bringing hope and health to the women, children and their families through health care, education and community development.
The work of LHCB includes:
- 44 bed hospital with labor/delivery suite and operating room for Caesarian sections
- Laboratory, ultrasound, pharmacy
- Outpatient Clinic, immunization clinic
- Waiting room with health education opportunities
- Mobile health clinics to surrounding villages
- Formation of village women's groups
- Training in vegetable gardening, crop development and fish ponds
- Training of Traditional Birth Attendants (midwives) to help in the surrounding villages
- LHCB Primary School for ESL with a morals based curriculum
What can your support do?
LHCB’s operations are funded primarily by LHCB-USA and the ELCA. LHCB-USA is funded by our church partners and by individual donors, whose support accomplishes so much.
- $25 will pay for the training of a Traditional Birth Attendant (midwife) who will help village women have safe deliveries and healthy babies.
- $45 will pay a senior nurse’s salary for 1 week.
- $220 will pay for a c/section and hospital stay for a mother and her baby.
- $500 will pay the full costs for medical and laboratory supplies for 1 month.
We need your support now more than ever to expand our outreach to our sisters in Bangladesh. Together, we are transforming lives through health care and education.