2016 Life Guard 5K Run/Walk
EVENT DATE: Nov 19, 2016
DEADLINE TO GIVE: Nov 19, 2016
About the 2016 Life Guard 5K
The 2016 Life Guard 5K is a charity benefit fundraiser for Life Guard Ecumenical Foundation. 10 teams, each comprised of 10 participants, will run/walk our 5-kilometer course through Shrewsbury, NJ on Saturday, November 19, 2016.
Saturday, November 19, 2016
8:00 AM - Check-in*
9:00 AM - Run/walk start* (*For pre-registered participants)
Road Runner Sports
490 Broad St
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702 - map
Fundraising Team Leaders
If you are a team captain, you can set-up your own fundraising team by clicking button above - "SET UP YOUR FUNDRAISER", and then selecting "START YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER". If you are already a member of a team, you can join a team that's listed below. If you have any issues, you can contact us via our contact form:
Race registration is now open to the public. As of 11/17, less than 20 spots remain available. Registrations are being processed at RunSignUp.com:
Life Guard Ecumenical Foundation (LGEF) is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization founded in 2009 by a group of neighbors in Fair Haven, NJ, with a mission to raise awareness of those around us – our fellow neighbors – who are in need of assistance.
LGEF organizes events (such as neighborhood barbecues, multi-family yard sales, concerts, and this 5K run/walk event) that raise funds for food gift cards, overdue utility bills, excessive medical bills, and expensive life-dependent medications.
LGEF has helped over 100 local families in need since our inception. So far in 2016, we have helped 11 families, including:
- Partnered with Scanlon’s Lawn Service of Fair Haven to spruce up the yard of a very special and deserving family from Middletown. The husband and father of this family has terminal cancer, and the family had been doing their best to keep up with school and doctors’ appointments. Understandably, their yard became neglected. What once was a nagging item on a “to do” list became a source of happiness for this family: Scanlon’s Lawn Service paid a visit and trimmed hedges, weeded, laid fresh mulch, planted mums, and created a beautiful fall display with pumpkins and hay bales.
- Contributed to the cost to repair a vehicle for a well-deserving and hard-working young man who was apprenticing as a carpenter. Before he had his own transportation, he would walk an hour to and from his job site. Now this beneficiary is able to travel in a reliable truck to his job sites. LGEF also purchased a new cell phone for him to replace the obsolete one he had been using.
- Paid a quarterly tax bill for a Red Bank woman who was forced to take an unpaid leave of absence from her job due to crippling knee and back pain. Her hardworking, helpful attitude
Goals of Life Guard Ecumenical Foundation include:
- Find at least one individual or family each month who is in need of assistance. Provide help that goes beyond what a normal food pantry or basic needs committee might do.
- Network with other charitable groups to identify and help fulfill the monetary or service needs of our community.
- Spread a spirit of giving, encouraging friends and neighbors to "pay it forward".
Thank you for supporting Life Guard Ecumenical Foundation and the Life Guard 5K.