Lighting the Streets, when their own homes are dark
Team Member: tom kenyon
EVENT DATE Aug 19, 2016
Suman Chapai wrote -
I am Suman from a small but fast growing village in Nepal, Sarangkot. I love to serve my society through whatever I can. After all, it is the place where I collected my lovely childhood memories. The warmth and the love which my society provided is equivalent to my mother’s love. I love to work rigorously for my society. I organize different kind of programs in my society to build it a better one. I am now planning to put up street lights in this community. Yes, It’s not a joke to put up street lights. The nice part of this is that everyone is conscious and supportive in this regard. The community are really enthusiastic about this, they say it had always been their dream to put up the street lights and they thank for the initiative which my club is taking (Himchuli Child Club). From the governmental part, as far as I know, the government would be supporting 60% of the total estimate. In fact, the remaining 40 % is not a joke. It’s going to be really big money. At first we were planning just to put up the lamps connecting the power to the electricity from every houses, discarding the fact our government provides electricity only around half a day. We just kept in mind there is usually electricity at the night time which wasn’t a quite sustainable idea. But as soon as we came to know about this 60 %, 40 % thing we have collected courage to put up the solar street lamps which is going to be really sustainable.
But still 40% thing is not that easy to make through. Roughly we would be needing 15-20 street lamps which is going to cost $900 roughly each. Even if we install 15 of them, we would need $13500. And the 40% is going to be $5400. My goal to make online is $2000. For the other fund, I am looking for sponsors through different organizations and also the financial involvement of the public people is what I expect to have.
Please help us through whatever you can. The best help you could do us it through sharing this to your friends and tell them to do the same. Every single penny counts a lot. Thank you very much.