BENEFITING: Womens Prison Association & Home Inc
EVENT DATE: Nov 08, 2014
Please help me raise money for this important cause. No amount is too small (or too large...) Thank you for your support!
What WPA Does: WPA works with women at all stages of criminal justice involvement. They promote alternatives to incarceration and help women living in the community to avoid arrest or incarceration by making positive changes in their lives. Inside prison and jail, they are a source of support to women and a resource to them as they plan for release. After incarceration, women come to WPA for help to build the lives they want for themselves and their families in the community.
WPA helps women achieve what is most important to them. Women come to them with a variety of goals including:
- Finding safe and affordable housing
- Preparing for job interviews and obtaining employment
- Reunifying with their children
- Complying with criminal justice mandates and living safe and law-abiding lives
- Accessing addiction, health, and mental health services
- Gaining peer support from other women
- Learning household budgeting and skills for daily life
Why This Matters: There are now 200,000 women in prison or jail in the United States, a figure that represents an increase of over 750% in the last three decades, and nearly twice the rate of increase that men experienced. As is the case with men, incarceration rates for women also reflect tremendous racial disparities; one out of every 100 black women in the U.S. is now incarcerated, nearly three times the rate for women overall.