You Did It!!!!! Thank you!!!!
September 16, 2016
Why I walk
Facts about shelter dogs
- 14,000 dogs are killed each day at animal control facilities in the United States. Get your head around that. 14,000. Each. Day.
- There are significantly more dogs (and cats) entering shelters than there are adopting families.
- 90% of shelter dogs come from 22% of pet dogs that are not spayed or neutered.
- One unspayed female can produce as many as 500 puppies in her lifetime. Her offspring and those that follow can produce 67,000 dogs in 6 years. Staggering, huh? The majority of these dogs end up in shelters.
- So why don’t people spay and neuter their dogs? There are many reasons, but the largest is cost. Yet the cost is really that 14,000 dogs are killed each day in America.
If you learned something here, it’s because I learned something by volunteering for Lulu’s Rescue. I also got an incredible present from Lulu’s this summer: Dizzy, a goofy lab mix who has the perfect temperament to become a therapy dog. We have already started our journey towards certification.
Were it not for Lulu’s, this incredibly sweet, loving, lovable, adorable, smart, and —dare I say—handsome puppy would have been “gassed” by his original shelter. Why? Because there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of him there in any given year without enough people to adopt them.
Lulu’s saw his sweet face and said, “We’ll find him a loving forever home.” I saw his face and said, “Please pick me.” And we’re living happily ever after.
I want to help Lulu’s do more of their amazing work. Much more.
This is why I’m walking at this event and I hope you’ll support me. Every dollar I raise goes directly to Lulu’s. Whatever you want to give is perfect. Thank you for caring about these dogs as much as I do.