Organized by: Tracy McMillan
Event Name: Women Startup Challenge
Have you ever been traveling and after a long day all you wanted to do was go for a run or walk but didn't because you were in an unfamiliar area? There are plenty of tools out there to help folks quantify their activity; however, what are we doing to help people get out the door to begin with?
localeikki's goal is to help people be active every day, everywhere. Knowing where to go, how to get there, and committing it to your schedule is more than half the battle of being regularly active, particularly when you're traveling. Our platform of information, connections, and services is designed to help people get past those barriers and get moving.
What have we done so far?
- Our team, awesome network of ambassadors and localeikki community members have already added over 1,500 places and group activities for running, walking and cycling to localeikki, covering most major U.S. metropolitan areas and some international locations. The best part is that this awesome database grows every day when individuals contribute the best outdoor resources in their community to be active.
- These detailed descriptions, ratings, and pictures of resources such as trails, multi-use paths and community parks help people stay active when traveling and get them outside exploring and engaging in local communities. It's true--they've told us so!
- We're the first health & fitness company to partner with Concur Technologies and be featured in the Concur App Center. We want to help keep Concur's 23,000 corporate customers active while on the road!
- You can find all of this on our website and our iPhone app
What's next (i.e., how will this fundraiser help)?
- We're about reducing the barriers to being active. Transportation can be a significant barrier, particularly if you're traveling. We're going to improve our navigation section to include deep links to transportation services so that you have more options to get to places than just your own feet & wheels.
- Commitment to self & others also helps folks stay more active. We're improving sharing & other good stuff to make it easier for you to plan activity into your day and connect with friends and/or other localeikki users.
- We want to help people be active every day, everywhere, and it's time to stop leaving out the Android users! This fundraiser will include development of an Android app.
- 1,500 places and group activities to run, walk, & bike is a drop in the bucket. We'll be adding more content in more communities (& maybe more activity choices!) and making it easier and more fun for our community members to add more, too!
- We want to be your go-to resource for information and inspiration to be active every day, everywhere. We're improving the overall user experience to make us irresistible :-)
Your contribution (a donation and/or a place to be active on localeikki!) helps us all live healthy, active lives each & every day, whether we're traveling across the country or across town. All contributions will receive a localeikki T!
lo•ca•lei•kki [loh-kuh-lay-kee] verb: Play local. The name is a riff off of the concept locavore: loca for local & leikki means play in Finnish—play local.