BENEFITING: Humane Society for Hamilton County
EVENT DATE: Mar 15, 2014
On March 15th, 2014, Brandon and I are lacing up our sneakers and running the Washington D.C. marathon to raise money for The Humane Society for Hamilton County inNoblesville, IN. We are taking on this challenge in our lives in honor of my dear adopted “brother”, Cooper (from HSHC), our fur baby, Ch’en, and to the thousands of homeless animals that come through this shelters doors every year. Having had the opportunity to volunteer here, I have been able to see first hand how amazingly special, hardworking, and truly compassionate these people are that make up this shelter.
For example, in 2012, the HSHC took in over 3,200 stray and unwanted animals and their placement rate that year was 90.3%! This compared to the national placement rate of 35%, is remarkable considering they are an “open-admission” facility that does not discriminate based on breed, age, special medical needs or disability. For them, those animals ARE adoptable!
The HSHC believes every adoptable animal in their care deserves a chance to find a home. They do not impose time limits or euthanize healthy, adoptable animals to make space in their shelter. The only way they can do this is through adoptions and placement programs and of course with the support and funds of the public.
This will be our first marathon and why not do it with a bang?! This is why we are trying to help HSHC and also to do so in the Nation’s capital! It might be an idealistic goal both distance and monetary wise, but we’re going to give it our all!
Now, your part is easy. All you need to do act like you’re buying us both a cup of coffee, but instead helping out homeless pets. Our part is a little tougher, we've committed to raising $2,000 for the HSHC by completing the 26.2 miles-- no matter how long it takes. If you can, please donate at:http://www.crowdrise.com/LovefortheHSHC/fundraiser/
Just in case you need a little extra motivation to donate, here are a few reasons:
- Ch’en Ch'en would appreciate it (and so would all the other cats and dogs your money would be helping!)
- Your donation is tax-deductible
- You can sleep in late on March 15th and still be helping animals, while we wake up at 5am and get running!
- You can transform our sneakers into a money machine as we raise $100/mile.
- If you help us, than we will have no excuse to walk or to crawl and will have to run the entire 26.2 miles.
- We've gone through 896 oz. of Gator Aid, 180 Power Bars, 5 pairs of running shoes, 2 tubes of Icy Hot, and 1 bottle of Arnica, and all you need to do click a button.
So thank you all again for taking time to read this and hopefully your donations!
Susie and Brandon