BENEFITING: Humans In Crisis International Corporation
Our priority project during 2011 will be to build and reinforce the capacities of the Maheela Co-operative, a social enterprise created by our partners at the Foundation for the Solidarity and Development of Women in Nepal.
Formed in 2000, the co-operative offers skills training and creates jobs for women survivors of domestic and social abuse with above-average wages; the minimum wage at Maheela is 250 Nepali Rupees (or about USD $3.50) per day.
This project will result in the:
- creation of specialist jobs improving the quality and range of textile products
- creation of management and marketing team
- introduction of a screen printing section to diversify production
- delivery of skills training seminars to improve staff ability to independently manage and market procurement, production and sales at a global level
- creation of 60 jobs for women during 2011
Most importantly, this program will enable the Women's Foundation to become completely self-sufficient and remove reliance on outside assistance to operate is many programs and services for women by 2013.