Geraldine Domingo via Crowdrise
October 25, 2010
Three years ago Mariam Baatjies, a resident of the Colchester village started a weekly soup kitchen for the children of the community. The soup kitchen is almost entirely dependent on donations and much work needs to be done to make improvements to support and help the children.
The following plans are underway:
1) Start vegetable gardens (grown by the community for the community) to support the soup kitchen.
2) To build a shelter for the soup kitchen to protect the children against bad weather on soup days.
3) To create a play area to keep the children occupied and off the streets on feeding days.
Progress report: (09 Feb 2011)
1) A veggie tunnel (see pics) was kindly donated by a resident from a nearby community. Work now begins to start the process of growing vegetables for the soup kitchen..Yay!!!
2) A team is now in place to plan a fundraising event (Dinner dance - March 2011) to raise funds for the shelter for the soup kitchen - The aim is to raise R20 000.00.
Progress report (09 Feb 2011)
1) Good progress has been made with the veggie tunnel. Seedlings have been planted and growing well, tunnel being nursed by members of the community. mmmmmm...veggies from the tunnel tasting sooooo good and already being used in the soup...yay!!!
2) The "valentine ball" is now a dinner dance with live entertainment 2b held on 19 March 2011. Support has been overwhelming and we've received some really nice sponsorships for the event. Ticket sales are going well.
Progress report (12 March 2011)
The dinner dance went well (see pics). We raised R8000.00 for the project. more is needed but work is now underway to get the shelter started.