Two days and counting until WE start this challenge of running, walking, cycling 565 miles as a team of 10 in 28 days.
January 30, 2017
Mark LoSacco wrote -
Run Ranger Run V(5)
Teams of up to ten individuals pledge to walk, run and/or ride bicycles a combined total of 565 miles in the month of February. Each team will raise funds for GallantFew and increase awareness for stated veteran transition issues.
Progress is being made due to dedicated and joint efforts. We need to continue our momentum in helping veterans who continue to battle unemployment, underemployment, homelessness and suicide. The most recent Department of Labor statistics from March 2016 show Global War on Terror veteran unemployment is down 1.4 percent. The VA also reports a decline in veteran suicide to twenty per day from previously reported twenty two veterans a day take their own lives. The work of GallantFew does make a difference and your miles will change lives!
In 2012, 3rd Ranger Battalion veteran US Army Corporal Cory Smith, having deployed to combat twice, experienced having friends killed and wounded and with his own marriage failing decided to highlight the difficult journey home many soldiers have leaving the Army by undergoing a very public and very difficult journey home himself. Cory decided to run 565 miles in 28 days with holding his daughter Elleigh in his arms the end goal of his run.
As a Result
To honor Cory’s incredible effort and to continue the momentum to raise awareness for veterans issues – particularly around divorce, unemployment, homelessness and suicide – GallantFew offers an annual Run Ranger Run event.
“I also want you to know how much of an impact this event had on my life."
"Thank you for all of your help and for this wonderful event. I can't tell you how much this has brought my husband (a combat veteran) out of his shell for a while. Its been great!"
Teams of up to ten individuals will pledge to walk, run, swim, kayak and/or ride bicycles a combined total of 565 miles in the month of February. They will raise funds for GallantFew and increase awareness for stated veteran issues.
- A team captain recruits and forms his or her team.
- Team goal is to walk, run, swim, kayak or ride a bike (or any combination) a total of 565 miles during February.
- Teams can be one to ten people.
- Teams are not limited geographically. It can be a local group that logs mileage together or could be a team spread out across the USA or even overseas.
- Teams can honor a fallen, wounded or serving Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine by naming their team in honor of that person, and their team website should be able to reflect that.
- Teams will register and track their progress online
- Teams raise money by getting family, friends and co-workers to sponsor them per mile
Visit our official web site HERE.