EVENT DATE: Feb 19, 2016
Each of these charities, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and The Christi Center, is meaningful and important to us and our families. Please, in lieu of wedding gifts, make a donation to them in honor of our loved ones. Thank you!
- Marshall & Leslie
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.
- Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food — because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
- Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20% to more than 80% since it opened more than 50 years ago.
- The budgeted daily operating cost of St. Jude is $2 million. Approximately 75% of the budgeted costs of St. Jude are covered by public contributions.
Because the majority of funding comes from individual contributors, St. Jude has the freedom to focus on what matters most – saving kids regardless of their financial situation.
The Christi Center is an Austin-based non-profit helping the community cope with grief and loss. By gathering people together into peer groups with similar experiences, spanning various stages of the grieving process, the community can heal one another.
The center provides, completely free of charge:
- Art projects and hands-on healing for children trying to understand loss, and partners with AISD to reach more kids in need
- Specialized peer group meetings and activities for teens dealing with grief
- Specialized peer group meetings for loss to violent crime, loss of a child, loss of a spouse, and loss to suicide
- Adult peer group meetings
- Community tree planting, healing gardens, and a community memorial celebration at Christmas
- Blog of content about healing and overcoming loss, written by staff and group participants
This is an organization that gets little funding, but has served the Austin community for almost 30 years, offering hope and healing through shared experience. Almost all professional staff and counselors are volunteers, and all donations go toward art supplies, outreach in schools, and to keep their doors open.