April 04, 2016
BENEFITING: POPLAR SPRING ANIMAL SANCTUARY INC
EVENT DATE: May 15, 2016
This May I will be running in the Poplar Spring Run for the Animals 5k. The run raises vital funds needed to feed and care for the 200+ rescued animals at Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary. I will be fundraising prior to the run for the sanctuary. The sanctuary is a 400 acre non-profit rescue/refuge in Poolesville, Maryland.
In addition to being a wonderful rescue center for animals of all different breeds the 5k has a number of green initatives including:
- Vegan food
- participants recieve organic cotton t-shirts printed with water-based ink
- online virtual goodie bags offering discounts to animal-friendly businesses and information on non-profit organizations for participants rather than wasting paper on flyers, etc.
- biodegradable utensils, cups, and garbage bags.
- Each race participant will have a tree planted in his or her honor.
- Recycling is done as much as possible from the race.
- Used shoes are collected at the race, which are recycled by Nike and donated to Africa for distribution
To learn more about the sanctuary please visit their website here.
To see my new favorite resident, Wee Wee the Pig go here.