EVENT: Together Walk | Virtual
Be part of something bigger. Grab a pair of walking shoes, roll up your sleeves, and meet others who want to make a difference. It’s time to make fibromyalgia visible in your community!
The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association is joining forces with people like you across the U.S. to launch TOGETHER WALKS in 2016 to raise fibromyalgia awareness and research funding. Passionate Leaders have already taken the lead for 2016 in Richmond, Central Florida, Coral Springs, Louisville, and a Virtual Online Walk.
We’ve organized a virtual Together Walk so you can form teams online, or with whomever you want to connect, even while you are at home. Everyone can participate regardless of their health status or ability to travel to specific locations. Your voice matters in changing how fibromyalgia is perceived, treated, and researched.
Fibromyalgia is a life-altering condition affecting 2-4% of women, men and children of all backgrounds worldwide to suffer. (That’s 10 million Americans alone.) The illness can strike suddenly or occur as a gradual increase in symptoms, indicating changes in the central nervous system (neuroplasticity). Sensory information (such as light, sound, and touch) becomes amplified by the CNS, causing the brain to respond with increasing pain and symptoms. FM severity waxes and wanes; often increases over time; and may become disabling.
Through research/innovation seed funding raised at Together Walks, new exploration in areas such as small fiber neuropathy, cervical cord compression, and myofascial release may bring promising new treatments.
What is the Virtual Together Walk? It is pretty simple. Follow these easy steps to participate:
1. Register (Click the Join button above at top of page.)
2. During registration, you have the opportunity to start a fundraiser and set a goal for yourself or team. Raise awareness and funds in your local community to support the efforts of the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association.
3. Form a team of your friends, neighbors, support group members, and family. Or choose to participate on your own, knowing you are part of something bigger! You make a difference!
4. To order the official Together Walk T-shirt, please go to
5. A virtual walk can be done in two ways: online or in your community. Choose your distance: you may walk around the block, do a 1K walk at the local mall, or even try a longer walk or run around your neighborhood. Do what you can. There is no distance too short. Be creative if you are unable to walk by forming a team online and fundraising with friends.
Be sure to fill out the External Events online form so we can send you some brochures and fun stuff and help you promote!
6. Rolling, Strolling, Walking, or running is best scheduled during the month of May in celebration of May 12 Fibromyalgia Awareness Day.
7. Take a photo of you or your team with a “Together we make a difference” sign and share it on social media. We invite you to use #TogetherWalks and #IWalkForFibro, and tag us @togetherwalks on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or YouTube. We invite you to share anyway or anywhere! Use your imagination – your voice matters!
This is an opportunity for people with fibromyalgia to have an action-oriented, healthy event for their friends, family, neighbors and healthcare providers to support them in a positive and uplifting way. These walks are foundational for the NFMCPA to continue strengthening its four tenets: increase of support, awareness, education and research globally.
As a participant, you will have access to educational materials about fibromyalgia and enjoy live-streaming of presentations from medical professionals with expertise in fibromyalgia and pain disorders at other Together Walks across the nation.
The NFMCPA thanks you for your continuing support and looks forward to walking with you.
Can you imagine what can be done together when there is a walk in every state and across the globe? If you are interested in hosting a Together Walk in 2017, please contact the NFMCPA at email@example.com.