Education and opportunity can make the difference between a successful, fulfilling life and struggling to make ends meet. Through my work at EverFi, I’ve seen how technology can help us improve access to both for those who need it most. I joined StreetWise in 2015 because I wanted to pursue this same mission by equipping members of my community with the skills they need to succeed.
Now in the midst of my third cycle as a mentor, the stories of the three people I’ve worked with are all so different – a young woman from Guatemala who taught herself English and is now pursuing her associate’s degree; a man with robust education and experience from Ethiopia now hoping to find relevant work in the States; and a young man born and raised in the DC area to a military family who is now searching for his next steps.
I could write pages about each of them. What’s important is that these individuals, as well as the countless men and women that StreetWise has already helped and will continue to help, were dealt certain cards and have taken action to turn their situations around. Through this program, they’re able to develop professional communication skills, build out a resume and a network, and set clear goals as well as the paths to achieve them.
Please donate what you can to help us continue to change lives!
- Champion a trainee from unemployment to a career
- Train and empower a mentor to educate, coach and empower a trainee for one year
- Exclusive speed networking event
- Ticket to Career Day
- Access to special events with corporate partners
- 4 mock interviews for each trainee
- 3 informational interviews for each trainee
- Personalized business cards
- Strength finder assessment
- Supplies (i.e. USB drives, notebooks, curriculum packets, etc.)
- Emergency travel (for our trainees who struggle to get to and from the program)