I have made a committment to Streetwise Partners (SWP), help me help a GREAT cause which I believe in.
SWP is a non-profit which provides mentoring services to low income, immigrants, and the disadvantaged. We help them gain skill sets so they can achieve their career and life goals.
I started volunteering in 2009 and have been involved ever since, mostly as a mentor with their Career Ventures program for young adults.
I have been involved in numerous 13 week cycles as a mentor, each with new volunteers, new SWP staff and, of course, new trainees. Because of the dedication of the SWP staff, the program is always being tweaked and improved. This impresses me.
I have also improved as a mentor, providing encouragement and advice, helping out with SWP homework assignments and much more. I have learned patience, humility and how to motivate people.
I have kept in touch with all of my prior trainees and believe that the mentoring commitment I made to each one does not end upon their graduation from the program; it is a lifetime committment.
There is no doubt that mentoring with SWP means that the volunteer is providing a societal good, “giving back.” Importantly, the trainees learn to help themselves and to take charge of their lives. It's an amazing thing to see unfold!
Because of my love of this organization and the wonderful work it does, I ask for you to help make sure that SWP thrives for the next 20 years. Please donate generously. I might have to pester you if you don't do it now ; )
- Champion a trainee from unemployment to a career
- Train and empower a mentor to educate, coach and empower a trainee for one year
- Exclusive speed networking event
- Ticket to Career Day
- Access to special events with corporate partners
- 4 mock interviews for each trainee
- 3 informational interviews for each trainee
- Personalized business cards
- Strength finder assessment
- Supplies (i.e. USB drives, notebooks, curriculum packets, etc.)
- Emergency travel (for our trainees who struggle to get to and from the program)