10th Boston Marathon!
$10,000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE
(EDITED! NEW GOAL IS $26,200!)
10 FAST FACTS ABOUT MELANOMA
- Melanoma is one of the deadliest cancers
- Melanoma affects people of all ages, but more and more young people
- 1 in 50 Americans will develop melanoma in their lifetime
- 1 person dies every hour of melanoma
- Melanoma can be found anywhere on the body
- Melanoma often starts in a mole
- If caught early, melanoma is highly curable
- Using tanning beds increases your melanoma risk by 75%
- Sunscreens can lower your risk of melanoma
- Yearly skin exams can catch melanomas early, when they are curable
I will be running my 10th Boston Marathon on April 20, 2015. As an added challenge and joy, I will be helping to coach this year's MFNE team! I bring to this role my special skills as someone who knows the course like the back of my hand as well as someone who has experience with almost every running injury that exists. MY BIB # IS 26996!
This terrific video tells a bit more about Team Running for Cover: http://vimeo.com/81430831
As a dermatologist, I hold the Melanoma Foundation of New England's mission close to my heart: to reduce the incidence of melanoma in the New England region through education, prevention and support. MFNE hosts a range of educational programs to spread awareness. I've been particularly involved with the Skinny on Skin program, which teaches beauty professionals to recognize potential melanomas on the head, neck and scalp of their clients. As part of this program I've traveled to various New England sites, talking with hair stylists about the dangers of melanoma and teaching them how to look at their client's skin for signs of skin cancer.
Team Running for Cover is running the 2015 Boston Marathon to raise funds to support MFNE's mission. All funds raised will be used to fund and expand these educational programs throughout the New England Area. PLEASE HELP!