15 Minutes Left!
October 19, 2016
Donate to the Sponsors of Science Program at the Michigan Science Center, and help us bring the MiSci experience to those who cannot afford to visit us on their own.
Our $100,000 goal for the 2016/2017 school year is to:
- Serve 10,000+ students and chaperones through free field trips.
- Impact 75 children (k-8) with free camps and workshops.
- Offer up to 40 free outreach programs to local schools, after school programs and other youth serving organizations.
- Offer $10,000 for bussing support.
- Expand engagement in all 7 counties of SE Michigan plus provide outreach to regions across the state of Michigan.
Our Sponsors of Science (SOS) program offers free field trips and outreach to under-served and under-resourced communities in Detroit and across southeastern Michigan. Historically, this funding primarily serves Detroit Schools with field trips to the Michigan Science Center --schools that generally have 80%+ of their students enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program. In addition to serving schools, SOS funding is also used to offer free admission for after school programs and community organizations that serve at-risk youth. Additionally it offers MiSci summer camps free to kids in need, provides free outreach programs to struggling schools, and assists with transportation/bussing expenses to the Michigan Science Center.
The mission of the Michigan Science Center (MiSci) is to inspire children and their families to discover, explore and appreciate science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in a creative, dynamic learning environment.
MiSci has been offering free and reduced field trips since opening in 2012. Since opening, SOS has served approximately 25,000 students and chaperones with field trips as well as provided free summer camps for 30 4-8th grade students and expending $20,000 in transportation support.