BENEFITING: MILITARY SPOUSE JD FOUNDATION
ORGANIZER: MILITARY SPOUSE JD FOUNDATION
EVENT DATE: Dec 02, 2014
MILITARY SPOUSE JD FOUNDATION wrote -
Help improve the life of a military family as you support the Military Spouses J.D. Foundation—the education and service foundation of the Military Spouse JD Network.
In 2011, the Military Spouse JD Network (“MSJDN”) was formed to serve as a bar association and networking body for military spouse attorneys, with the goal of improving the lives of military families. Today, MSJDN has over 900 members from all over the U.S.
The White House challenged communities to remove the licensing and employment barriers facing military spouses. MSJDN answered that call. We have been working tirelessly on efforts to reduced licensing barriers in jurisdictions around the country.
But this is only part of the MSJDN mission. The organization needed a vehicle for education, and for plugging its members in to meet the specific legal needs of the military community. So, last year, MSJDN formed the Military Spouse JD Foundation (“MSJDF”), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, to develop our members as professionals, teach them effective advocacy skills, and then provide them with opportunities to use those skills to address the legal needs of the military and veterans communities. Currently the Foundation has two programs:
Member Benefit Program: Members are currently receiving benefits, and new features and opportunities are constantly being added. With funding, a scholarship for bar exam courses, fees, and licensing dues could be launched in time for the winter bar exam, offered in mid-February. A more robust online space for members could be designed and launched within six months of funding.
Justice for Military Families: We have current partnerships that will launch pro bono programs involving our members in the fall. The virtual law clinic we envision using to execute the next step of these programs would not be ready for launch until summer 2014.
In order to ensure the continued success of the Foundation, we're asking for your support in the Newman's Own Foundation's "Honoring Those Who Serve" fundraising challenge. With many military spouses struggling to maintain legal careers your contributions can help improve the life of a military family, and empower a military spouse attorney to improve the entire community.
- A donation of $100 provides one continuing legal education credit for a member.
- A donation of $300 helps an unemployed military spouse attorney keep her license in good standing.
- A donation of $500 helps a military spouse attend an in-person networking event or ABA conference.
- A donation of $2,000 helps a military spouse pay for her second/third/fourth bar review course.
- A donation of $7,500 helps develop an online clinic, connecting MilSpouse attorneys and veterans with unmet legal needs
- A donation of $15,000 helps develop and staff an online pro bono clinic, connecting MilSpouse attorneys and veterans with unmet legal needs
Thank you for your donation and support of a military family!