$15/Eye Cataract Surgery for (200) People in Need in India
Organized by: Shailesh Shah
EVENT DATE Feb 15, 2017
My name is Shailesh Shah, and I live in San Jose, CA. Recently, I visited India and met (300)- Blind, Mute and deaf children from the ages of 5 to 17. Looking at them, I couldn't help but feel really blessed by God's good grace. That said, each and every one of these kids was happy and smiling. In talking with the school's principal, I was sad to learn that the parents of these children could not afford to provide care and the appropriate operations that could treat and cure the deaf and blind ailments impacting their children.
Below is a cost comparison of Cataract Surgery in the USA and India:
Typical costs in USA:
- For patients not covered by health insurance, cataract surgery typically costs $5,000 to $10,000 per eye, for a total of $10,000 to $20,000
- For patients covered by insurance, typical out-of-pocket costs would consist of coinsurance of 10 to 20 percent or more -- or $1,000 or more for both eyes. However, a supplemental Medicare policy could cover those costs.
Typical costs in India:
- Cataract surgery typically costs $1,500 USD per eye or $3000 USD for both eyes. (Private pay)
During my 2016 visit to India, I was astonished to learn that one of the local hospital was willing to charge the equivalent of $15.00 USD to treat cataract patients, let me repeat, only $15.00 per eye to perform Cataract surgery. Wow! I couldn't believe this is all it would take as those patients who do not get the surgery will eventually lose their vision.
During my 2016 February visit to India; with the help of a few friends, I paid for Cataract Surgeries for (100) people in need. All operations are 100% successful and you see a smile on patients face when they open their eyes.
For $15USD, the hospital
- performed the procedure for the patient
- provided lodging and three meals a day for each patient and their family
I was really impressed with the hospital management and how they effectively stretched the value of each dollar donated to them.
My goal is to help at least (200) people in need (young and old) who require a Cataract procedure. It will cost a total of $6,000 (Both Eyes). It looks like lot of money for one person, but together, through small contributions; we can bring a smile to 200 people. Your donation will go 100% toward their operation. If you believe in Good Karma, this is one of them.
Next February 2017, I will be returning to India (using my own funds) to meet the families and the individuals who will be benefiting from your generosity. I'll be sure to help each patient register and pay for their procedure.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about my most recent project and helping make this initiative successful.
God bless you. Shailesh Shah