Moosejaw Mountaineering via C...
January 24, 2012
BENEFITING: NPH USA
Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital is the ONLY Free Pediatric Hospital in Haiti. But They Need Your Help. EVERY DOLLAR RAISED WILL BE DOUBLED UP TO $1 MILLION!
Here's some stuff you may not know...
- The island nation of Haiti is located in the Caribbean and Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.
- Poor sanitation and widespread poverty have led to young children being 15 times as likely to die from diarrhea and pneumonia than HIV/AIDS.
- Nearly 10% of children die before their 5th birthday, largely of treatable illnesses.
- 1 out of 4 children are moderately to severley malnourished, and 138,000 children die of preventable diseases each year.
In a country where 1/3 of the population is under 14-years-old, improvements in pediatric health are a vital and necessary requirement towards Haiti's economic, social, and political development. St. Damien Pediatric Hospital offers children a place to receive first rate quality and dignified healthcare regardless of their social level. With support from the Friends of the St. Damien Pediatric Hospital Fund, St. Damien Pediatric Hospital offsets the injustice of poverty and treats 80,000 children annually for who health care would otherwise be inaccessible. Poverty and unemployment in Haiti make healthcare an impossibility for many people today, and that's why the work of Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital is so, so important.
More than half of all patients are admitted for infectious disease such as tuberculosis, malaria, and HIV while twenty-five percent are admitted for non-infectious diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and kidney infection. The outpatient clinic treats 100 children daily for acute, parasitic and bacterial infections. In specialized clinics, chronic conditions such as sickle cell anemia, congenital heart disease (CHD), tuberculosis and cancer are treated for months or years if needed.
Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital strives to take care of the sick regardless of their social standing. As such, Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital provides quality health care to 80,000 of Haiti's most impoverished children annually. And, once in their program, Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital continues their care through ongoing dialogue with the parents, providing on-site opportunities for education, and encouraging any level of material support they can offer for the care of these children.
Here's how you can help...
- When you buy your favorite Moosejaw gear that's on clearance, we'll make a donation to Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital.
- When we make a donation to Saint Damien Pediatric Hospital it'll get matched, meaning we'll have double the impact.
- You can also make a donation direclty to our Moosejaw UnClearance Project and your donation will get matched.
- Tell everyone you know to check out our fundraiser, JOIN THE TEAM and donate to get their donations matched too.
There is definitely a need that must be filled in Haiti. Please support our cause and give the gift of hope and health to a child.
Thanks so much for giving back.