BENEFITING: Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Inc.
EVENT DATE: Aug 16, 2011
HOURS PLEDGED: 100
Words and images matter. I know that LGBT representations and stories in the media can educate millions of people about our lives -- and is needed to build support for equality.
Right now GLAAD is working overtime to:
- Teaching gay and lesbian couples and allies how to speak out in their local communities in states where marriage equality is being debated - including New York, Maryland, Rhode Island, Oregon and California. GLAAD is sharing their stories of love and commitment with millions through the media and building support for our equality.
- Partnering with the NBA, Major League Baseball and World Wrestling Entertainment to combat homophobia in sports and training announcers, coaches and players to be LGBT inclusive.
- Speaking out when anti-gay voices are spotlighted in the media and tell lies about our lives.
- Organizing a national anti-bullying PSA campaign and providing resource kits to schools across the country.
- Working with Facebook to combat anti-LGBT cyberbullying on the site.
I'm participating in the first annual GET AMPED! Provincetown 10K Run/Walk to raise critical funds for GLAAD's work in holding media accountable for the word and images the present, empowering real people to share their stories, and helping local organization communicate more effectively. As more people see these stories in news, entertainment and social media, they grow to respect and understand our community, paving the way for full equality.
My goal: Run or walk a 10K race and raise over $250 for GLAAD and its programs.
But I can't do it without your help. Please help me achieve my goal so we can promote acceptance, increase understanding and advance equality.