Please consider being a team member! This week the organization with 5 active fundraisers can win a $1,000 bonus and the charity with the most active fundraisers wins $500! Thank you for supporting S.T.E.A.M. programs for kids!
April 25, 2017
BENEFITING: Monmouth Museum and Cultural Center
EVENT DATE: Apr 17, 2017
The Monmouth Museum needs your help to create an Innovation Laboratory in the Becker Children’s Wing and expand our S.T.E.A.M. centered educational programs for children.
Museums are places of ideas and discovery. The Monmouth Museum focuses on just that! A popular destination for school groups and families alike for generations, our children’s wings boast exhibition areas on Art, Science and History where learning is an active process.
With this appeal we are asking for you to imagine what comes next, help the Museum grow and set the children of our community up for success!
INNOVATION LABORATORY – STEAM in Action:
The "Innovation Laboratory" will focus on "STEAM in Action" interactive exhibition elements and educational programming for children and their families. STEAM is an acronym for the fields of study in the categories of science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. This initiative includes art and design in STEM education. STEM programs are designed to integrate science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in education. STEAM is a movement championed by Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and widely adopted by institutions, schools, corporations and individuals.
With your help the Innovation Laboratory will include:
· Maker Space with MakerBot 3D Printers and Apple Computer Stations
· Science and Learning Space with HD Videomicroscopes
· Language of Technology Space with Apple IPad Stations for Coding
· Engineering Wall & Learning Space with mechanical and robotic building experiences
· And so much more!
Why is STEAM so important to teach kids today?
STEAM Learning sets kids up for success in their adult lives while creating a stronger and more skilled workforce that will ultimately benefit our shared community
Today’s children need to be engaged in learning, and learn in ways that can hold their attention, the way video games, social media, and internet sites do, so offering opportunities for kids to is a key goal of the Innovation Laboratory while simultaneously getting kids more involved in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math!
The Inclusion of the ARTS into STEM makes learning more fun and approachable to kids.
Art education allows students to learn things in a more open ended way and makes them applicable to real life. A child who has never seen or used code or has been exposed to computer science learning will be less intimidated and more engaged if it includes something they are familiar with, like an art component. A good example of this is the entertainment success of such video games as Minecraft; where kids are have fun solving problems to create a project.
WHO THE PROGRAM SERVES:
Thousands of school children from all over NJ participate in class trips to the Museum as part of their annual curriculum. Often because of the lack of funding in NJ school districts, this class trip makes a child’s visit to the Monmouth Museum his or her first and sometimes only exposure to a museum. The "Innovation Laboratory" in the Becker Children's Wing will have technology and educational tools not readily available to every child in their household or school but are essential to the academic and future career success of all girls and boys. Our nominal admission fees and family memberships make this new component an inclusive and affordable educational asset for many families and schools in our community. Through our “Arts for Everyone” initiative the Museum provides access to free admission for individuals and school groups who cannot afford to pay admission and we hope to expand this initiative to include the Innovation Laboratory.
WHO WE ARE AND WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP:
Did you know?
· The Monmouth Museum, founded in 1963, is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums for providing an unmatched experience in enjoying artistic, educational and cultural programming normally only available when visiting large cities.
· Our mission is to present changing exhibitions in art, history and science to educate and entertain while providing a destination for creative expression and lifelong learning to the diverse community we serve.
· We have five distinct exhibition areas within the facility and one outside. Our unique Museum provided inspiration and sparked the imagination to over 35,000 visitors in 2016.
· We refer to ourselves as a “Museum of Ideas”, with a vision of enriching the community and connecting people of all ages and backgrounds by cultivating their appreciation for the arts, artists, culture, science and history.
· We are a private, non-profit organization and entirely supported by individuals, foundations, corporate, county and state grants, income from special events, membership dues and admissions. Please support us today!
Video Credit: John Schneider
Photo Credits: MicroEye Interactive, Sharon Covert Photography, Monmouth Museum and our wonderful visitors! #MonmouthMuseum #TheMonmouthMuseum #MMKIDS