More on why this matters...
June 15, 2017
It is often easy to ignore the crisis our incredible planet is facing at this moment. The loss of forests and destruction of reefs is not a distant problem, but one that affects all of us. ILS is partnering with The Nature Conservancy to make a difference not only for the planet and its animals, but securing a bountiful future for all those, we love here at home. As a company, we have committed to raising $13,000 toward protecting the Selva Maya, a Central American rainforest, and the Mesoamerican Reef. Here are three major reasons we are passionate about becoming change agents for these incredible regions of the world:
1. Protecting Biodiversity - The animals that inhabit these areas have effects locally and on our entire region of the world. The sheer amount of biodiversity that could be lost would be devastating to the planet.
- 50% of the world's biodiversity is represented in the Maya Rainforest.
- 80% of the biodiversity is represented in the world's reefs.
2. Carbon Sequestering - Most of us are somewhat familiar with the fact that trees filter carbon dioxide out of the air, but many don't realize that carbon is sequestered in the organic matter of the rainforest. Massive scale deforestation releases that carbon into the atmosphere, worsening climate change.
3. Preserving Species - These two locations are home to rare and precious animal species that are endangered by the destruction of their habitats. Once their habitats are destroyed our world is not only robbed of this presence, but their role in balancing the ecosystem is disrupted.
- There are less than 500 Scarlet Macaws left in the world, many of whom call the Maya Rainforest home.
Please join us in our efforts and consider a generous donation to this fundraiser.
2016 Fundraiser - Goal: $10,000 Final Amount Raised: $12,050
2017 Fundraiser - Goal: $13,000 Final Amount Raised: $13,000