Irene Nkosi was pregnant with her second child when she tested positive for HIV in 2007. The clinic gave her medicine, but didn’t educate her about HIV or how to protect her baby from infection. She was frustrated and feared for her and baby’s life. When she shared her status with her family, she was isolated and called names. It wasn’t until she was employed as an m2m Mentor Mother that she finally received the education and support she needed to live a healthy and positive life, and overcome stigma. She now helps other mothers do the same. Just $10/£5 can help Irene educate and support one HIV + mother through her pregnancy, so she can keep her baby HIV free. Meet Irene and hear her story.
While paediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in resource rich countries, almost 600 children are still infected each day in sub-Saharan Africa. What’s so tragic is this is preventable -- no baby has to be born with HIV and no mother has to die of AIDS. Effective and inexpensive medical interventions are available that can keep mothers healthy and babies free of HIV.
Irene and her fellow Mentor Mothers provide essential health education and support to almost 100,000 women each year so they can protect their babies from HIV infection and stay healthy.
- Just $25/£15… can fund one month of nutritious meals so that HIV+ women can stay healthy during their pregnancy.
- $50/£30... can pay for three months of telephone support to ensure women and their babies access critical medical treatment so important for their health.
- $100/£60… can purchase two mobile phones that Mentor Mothers like Irene use to follow up with clients and record important data.
- $500/£300... can help train two women living with HIV in Swaziland on the latest in HIV care so they can work as Mentor Mothers.
- $1,000/£600... can create client education cards for five m2m sites to provide women with easy-to-understand information they need to keep themselves and their families healthy.
With your support, we can meet our goal for the Skoll Social Entrepreneurs Challenge of raising $150,000 (or £100,000 for our friends in the UK), which can employ almost 100 Mentor Mothers for one year, bringing health and hope to thousands of HIV+ women and their babies. Your support can also unlock some of the $3 million in prize money that the generous folks at the Skoll Foundation have pledged to organisations that do well in this challenge.
What we do: At m2m, we believe in the power of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create health and hope for themselves and their babies, families, and communities. We train, employ, and empower mothers living with HIV to work alongside doctors and nurses in understaffed health centres and provide essential health education and psychosocial support to other women. They are rigorously trained and paid, which benefits not only their respective families but also the community as a whole and reduces stigma associated with HIV.
Since our founding, we have reached more than 1.2 million HIV-positive mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa. mothers2mothers is a leader in the global effort to eliminate new HIV infections among children and protect the health of mothers. m2m is a leader in global efforts to create an HIV-free generation and has partnered with the United Nations in the Global Plan to end pediatric AIDS by 2015 and keep mothers alive.
Please donate or become a member of our fundraising team today.
Together we can create an HIV-free generation!