I'll get a Mullet to help Malawi
Organized by: Rachael Shores
EVENT DATE Apr 20, 2014
I'm raising money to give over to the Malawi Surgery Surgical Initiative which brings together professionals from UNC and other institutions to provide training for the KCH General Surgery Residency Program and conduct research of surgical diseases in Malawi. They are doing amazing work training surgeons in Malawi who will stay in Malawi to better their healthcare system. I learned about the program through my mother-in-law who has been an active surgeon in the program for a number of years. She has been writing grants, working in Malawi, setting up fund drives, and donating out of her own pocket. I would like to show my support and admiration.
Surgeons treat curable diseases that frequently allow people to return to a normal, productive life. These include:
- Congenital anomalies, such as cleft lip and palate
- Abdominal problems such as hernias, appendicitis and bowel obstruction
- Traumatic injuries such as collapse lungs, internal bleeding and broken bones
- Complications of childbirth, with life-saving cesarean sections.
- Cancer: Most Africans do not have access to radiation or chemotherapy, so surgery is the only curative option.
Donations go directly to support the MSI Mission through:
- The MSI house in Lilongwe, Malawi, where visiting surgeons, anesthesiologists, residents and others stay while training KCH Surgery Residents and conducting research. Household costs are $2100/month.
- Educational materials, such as books relevant to surgical training
- Internet access for Surgery resident and attendings at KCH
- Laptop computers for the Malawi Surgery residents
- Travel expenses to bring Malawian Surgery residents to UNC for an 8 week rotation during their third year of training
- Salary support for Malawian surgery residents
For the month of April I'm doing a Sacred Mullet art show and the idea of doing something crazy and fun to raise money for charity seemed like a great combo idea. So, help me raise $2000 by 4-19 and I'll get it a tacky mullet. If you want to send the message "Don't Cut Your Hair!" then click here to donate to a campain I am running beside this one. If I can raise MORE money to NOT cut my hair then I'll keep my hair. All proceeds will go to the same place, the Malawi Surgical Initiative, whether I end up with a crazy haircut or not will just depend on the donations. I like the competition.
This fundraiser is only 19 days long and this is my first fundraising attempt so all money is coming to my bank account and I will personally give it to the Malawi Surgical Initiative. I tried to find a direct way and maybe I'll be able to work with crowdrise for a more direct line of money flowing to Malawi. I've delayed the deposit into my bank account by a month so hopefully I can get it sorted by then. If you didn't know me, I'm a bit spontaneous. If you don't trust me or my intentions you can donate to the Malawi Surgical Initiative directly at http://www.med.unc.edu/msi/donations. Check out their website to learn all about the wonderful things they are doing. I just want to bring awareness to this program.