BENEFITING: METRO WARRIORS YOUTH ORGANIZATION
ORGANIZER: 44 FOR LIFE FOUNDATION INC
EVENT DATE: Nov 05, 2011
44 FOR LIFE FOUNDATION INC wrote -
FIrst Annual Walk-4-Life and Turkey Trot
6000-8000 youth die unexpectedly each year due to Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Join the Walk-4-Life Team to help raise funds for SCA and heart disease prevention programs in public schools in the District of Columbia.
Where will the money go?
The funds will be used to:
1) Implement Public Access to Defibrillation (PAD) programs, including Automated External Defibrillator donation and training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and cardiac emergency response
2) Youth antiobesity programs through DC Kids Are Cooking Project
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, over the past three decades the childhood obesity rate has more than doubled for preschool children aged 2-5 years and adolescents aged 12-19 years, and it has more than tripled for children aged 6-11 years. We are developing a nation of children at risk of heart disease. The obesity epidemic will likely lower the lifespan of our children.To prevent the spread of childhood obesity, the Forty-four for Life Foundation and Metro Warriors Youth Organization have collaborated to develop and launch a National Awareness Campaign Called "Kids are Cooking". focuses on teaching youth the fundamentals of nutrition. The goals of the program are to:
- Decrease incidence of medical related illnesses associated with childhood obesity with special emphasis on reducing heart related risks (viz., Obesity, Physical Inactivity, Diabetes, High cholesterol)
- Create a population of well-nourished children such that they perform better in school
- Lay the foundation for lifelong health eating habits and lifestyle
- Give children the tools to make nutritious choices related to the meals they eat