Until there are none.....
January 27, 2017
BENEFITING: MY FURRY VALENTINE
EVENT DATE: Feb 11, 2017
We’d like to introduce you to Tetra, one of 11 puppies abandoned in a box in the snow outside the shelter on a cold winter day ..…
Tetra eventually made his way to Cincinnati’s My Furry Valentine Adoption Event and found his forever home last February. But he and his littermates are amongst the lucky ones - not all stories of homeless animals have such a happy ending. These 11 puppies faced an uncertain fate, left cold, scared and alone outside a closed shelter. Thankfully they were found in time, and taken in by Louie's Legacy Animal Rescue. And thanks to My Furry Valentine, these pups were seen by thousands of potential adopters and had applications come in from all across the country! (Click through images on the left to see Tetra's photo.)
The stress of a shelter is no place for a puppy, and they don’t always have the space and resources to keep them until they are old enough for the adoption floor. Many times, commitment from a rescue group is their only way out. In this case, Louie’s Legacy stepped in, knowing they had the support of a mega-adoption to help find homes for so many pups.
Many shelters and rescue groups are run on shoestring budgets and the sheer love, grit and tears of their volunteers. And despite their best efforts, some 2.7 million healthy, adoptable animals are still euthanized in our country each year. Today we are making great strides in our community, however, and there are lots of reasons to be hopeful. We have many happy endings to share -especially when we work together.
My Furry Valentine is host to the region’s largest animal adoption event each Valentine’s Day weekend, bringing together nearly 50 animal groups, 14,000 visitors and 800 animals under one roof to find homes for hundreds of animals in a single weekend. In fact, our adoption numbers have grown by 150% since we began in 2012 and we’ve helped to connect 2,894 animals with their families in just 5 years! Imagine what we can do in the next five years with the continued support of our community.
We don’t need to tell you all the reasons why animal adoption is important or all the ways it can change lives. But, we do want you know that when you donate to My Furry Valentine, you’re doing more than helping to host a two-day adoption event:
- You’re inspiring groups to take in more animals like Tetra and his littermates, than they would otherwise, without the help of a mega adoption event
- You’re making it possible for rescues and shelters to participate, regardless of their financial means
- You’re giving small, rural shelters the best chance for their animals to be seen by a large pool of potential adopters
- You’re helping to educate thousands of people about the importance of animal adoption and to overcome some of the common negative stereotypes about shelter animals
- You’re joining a movement of animal advocates in our community to promote the “think adoption first” mentality when looking for a pet
- You’re doing your part to eliminate animal euthanasia for good
- You’re a champion for companion animals in our community!
Here’s Why We Need Your Help. As effective as mega-adoption events like My Furry Valentine are in helping animals find homes, rescues and shelters don’t always have the budget needed to cover costs of participation in such a prominent event. Your donation helps us extend an invitation to all local shelters and rescues to participate free of charge. By hosting the event, taking care of all the planning, staffing and advertising, and covering the costs associated with holding one of the country’s largest animal adoption events, our all-volunteer team makes animal adoption easy for the adopters, shelters and rescues. Importantly, this enables the animal welfare organizations to focus on doing what they do best - saving and caring for animals in need.
Our Mega Adoption is celebrated as being the single best adoption weekend of the year for many of our participants, and here are some reasons why. My Furry Valentine:
- Saves dogs like Sarge, who could not be put on the adoption floor because of breed restrictions in his home county, but found his home at My Furry Valentine
- Subsidizes adoption fees to offer lower pricing during the event, encouraging more adoptions and enabling the smaller, less-funded groups to compete with larger organizations, giving their animals a fair chance of being considered
- Helps rural county shelters get their animals in front of the largest audience of potential adopters in the Tri-State; as a result, some of them even cleared their shelters for the first time, freeing up space to take in and keep even more animals, so they don’t have to make difficult euthanasia decisions
We know our goals are lofty, but a little bit of love by a whole lot of people, we can make a huge world of difference. We’ve seen it happen thousands of times already, and we’re only getting started.
Won’t you please join us?