Nala Simone for C.K Life Youth Assitance Scholarship Fund
Organized by: Nala Simone
This year I would like you to use my 24th birthday to give to my community. Instead of gifts, parties, dinners, and drinks, I would like you help me raise money to donate to an organization called Community Kinship Life, specifically, to their Youth Assistance Scholarship Fund.
As a Woman of Transgender Experience, I can still remember my teenage years, when the thoughts of taking my own life due to bullying, molestation, and abuse were almost too much for me to handle. However, I now know that God had other plans for me and provided me with the abundance of loving and supportive family and friends. I realize that I no longer need to search for evidence to KNOW THAT I MATTER! I have learned through my rough times not to complain and to never give up; but instead, choose to show up in the world differently and focus on creating the change that I was seeking! Each and every one of you has been a part of that journey. Won't you help me as we Source this journey for other Youth of Transgender Experience?
On this journey towards my truth, through self-determination and healing, I have earned an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science (with Cum Laude honors, I might add!) and a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Fashion Design from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I am also a multifaceted stylist and makeup artist. My past has motivated me to work as a Youth mentor, within outreach and towards helping to reduce Transgender Youth conflicts and violence. In addition to these accomplishments, I am an activist, and Executive Board Member and Co-Coordinator of Youth Empowerment for Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCCNY) where I create change by uplifting the narratives, leadership, and lived experience of Transgender Youth. None of this would have been possible without the support of all of you. Moreover, all of this CAN be possible for other Transgender Youth through Community Kinship Life and their Youth Assistance Scholarship Fund!
The Community Kinship Life Youth Assistance Scholarship Fund does remarkable work with Transgender Youth! Such as (just to name a few):
• Enriching quality of life by assisting with access to basic transition items that Transgender Youth may not be able to afford such as binders, name change, transportation, clothing, sponsorship for hormone treatment and other transition necessities.
• Providing continuing education for Transgender Youth regarding how to transition SAFELY through access to board certified physicians and LEGAL hormones to facilitate a healthy and safe transition
• Providing Transgender Youth with access to educational materials related to transition
• Providing Transgender Youth with life coaching skills as it relates to healing in areas of child sexual abuse, trauma, domestic violence, emotional health, psychical health, and workshops on creating healthy relationship with family and friends.
• Providing encouragement for continuing education
• Providing assistance to Transgender Youth with access to jobs, resume writing, mentor-ships and volunteer positions where they can feel affirmed in their identities
• Providing social activities to keep Transgender Youth engaged thereby reducing isolation
Please donate and create new possibilities for a Transgender Youth in honor of my birthday! $2.40, $24.00, $240.00 -- no amount is too big or too small! Here's how to donate.
Hugs to all,
Nala Simone Toussaint