EVENT DATE: Jun 08, 2017
National Society Of Newspaper Columnists Education Foundation wrote -
Over the last two decades, the 24/7 internet information cycle has had a drastic impact on newspapers. Columnists are finding it challenging to hold fast to traditional standards of professionalism and ethics in today's world.
In order to provide training opportunities for columnists, the National Society of Newspaper Columnists Education Foundation (NSNCEF) was incorporated in 2003, and is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) charity foundation devoted to the education and training of aspiring and experienced columnists everywhere.
In an effort to motivate columnists to pursue their craft at the highest journalistic standards, the NSNCEF works with the National Society of Newspaper Columnists to fund an annual educational conference.
The 2017 NSNC conference will be held June 8-11, in Manchester, New Hampshire. The event will offer many practical courses and inspiring keynote speakers, to include a session on interview techniques, a panel discussion of responsible political election opinion writing, a session on how to use humor effectively, and a podcasting workshop. Pulitzer Prize winner Maureen Down will address the conference attendees at NSNC's Ernie Pyle Lifetime Achievement Award dinner. And Amy Newmark, Publisher of the Chicken Soup for the Soul Series, will be a keynote during our Will Rogers Humanitarian Award event.
NSNCEF also awards annual scholarships to three outstanding student newspaper columnists who write for U.S. college or university undergraduate newspapers. The first place winner receives a monetary scholarship award and a grant to attend NSNC's annual conference.
The core mission of the Education Foundation is to serve as a training tool for both aspiring and published columnists in all media, and to foster the highest standards of professionalism and ethics in journalism.
Through contributions from interested donors, NSNCEF will be able to fund its annual Scholarship Program and contribute to NSNC's 41st Annual Columnists Conference, making it possible for columnists everywhere to pursue their craft.
Here's how donations of all sizes can facilitate NSNCEF's mission:
- $25: Your donation will pay for audio visual requirements for one session the conference.
- $50: Your donation will pay for badges for the conference attendees.
- $100: Your donation will pay the costs to make the Ernie Pyle Award statuette for the conference.
- $150: Your donation will cover the hotel cost for one scholarship recipient at the conference.
- $300: Your donation will cover registration fees for one scholarship recipient at the conference.
- $500: Your donation will cover the cost of a bus for conference attendee transportation.
- $1,000: Your donation will cover the cost of 100 attendees at the conference awards dinner event.