In wake of the devastating earthquake that hit Nepal, Nepalese Association of Houston has initiated a fundraising campaign on their website to support the disaster relief efforts.
Key Facts about the Earthquake in Nepal.
- At approximately 11:56 a.m. local time—or 1:11 a.m. Central Daylight Time—on April 25, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck central Nepal at a shallow depth of approximately 15 kilometers (km).
- The epicenter of the earthquake was located approximately 50 miles northwest of Kathmandu, Nepal’s capital city.
- More than 60 aftershocks—ranging between magnitude 4.5 and 6.6—followed the initial earthquake.
- Fatalities resulting from the earthquake is over 3,000 and rising.
- 6.6 million people are residing within 100 miles of the earthquake’s epicenter.