The massive 7.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Nepal on April 25, 2015 killed over 8,500 people. The initial relief and humanitarian assistance phase is nearly over, but the process of rebuilding and recovery, which will take many long years, is just beginning. We need your help!
Your donation will go to Shikshya Foundation Nepal (www.shikshyafoundationnepal.org). We distribute 100% of the funds we raise for earthquake recovery directly to programs and people who need assistance the most.
As an education foundation, Shikshya Foundation Nepal supports a broad range of education programs in Nepal, with a focus on girls and underprivileged children. Since the earthquake, we have been supporting earthquake relief and recovery efforts, primarily in rural Nepal, but we have also continued our steadfast support for education and learning.
Below are some highlights of projects we have funded in the past 6 months thanks to your generous support immediately after the earthquake:
- Built temporary shelters for nearly 2,000 families
- Positively impacted the lives of over 1,100 children
- Provide full educational support for 145 underprivileged students
- Positively impacted over 15,000 people
- Provide long term higher education scholarships for 50 students affected by earthquake
- Provided financial support for Photo Kathmandu, Nepal’s first international photography festival
- Funded construction of two Community Eye Centres with support of Tilganga Eye Hospital
- Funded art therapy project for 300+ children through Art Works! Sangai Khelaun
- Provided funding for 50 patients at the Spinal Injury Rehabilitation Centre
- Provided rations to over 2,000 families in devastated rural areas
- Provided over 2 kilometers of irrigation and drinking water pipes to affected villages
This is just the beginning of what we will be able to achieve in the near future. Your donation and support will help make it possible to continue our education and earthquake recovery efforts in Nepal and to allow us to take on many more projects in the coming months. There are ongoing costs for many of the programs and projects listed above, and unfortunately, we have had to turn away dozens and dozens of requests because we lacked the appropriate funds.
Please donate generously, spread the word and help us fundraise - there is still so much work to be done in Nepal! As always, we will continue to provide updates and information on our website, and on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Help us reach so many more people and make a huge, positive impact in Nepal!